Monday, January 2, 2012

This is a picture of my loving mom..when we visited Hawaii, in "87..Well, I happen to come across a shopping list of hers from 1934 and thought I would share it..just to show how far we have come..and I am not talking about for the better either..
butter..29cents
1lb.coffee..23cents
31/2lbs flour..15cents
loaf bread...7cents
8cans milk..48cents
1lb lard...9cents
1 bot.vinegar...15cents..
2 doz.eggs..50cents
3 fruit salad...25 cents
5 cans tomato sauce...23 cents.

Beef Stew Recipe..
2 lbs beef stew meat, lean
1 quart potatoes
2 cups cut carrots
2 chopped onions
1cup tomatoes
1TBS salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 TBS chopped parsley..
add your broth/water and cook..I assume..she didn't put anything else down on the recipe..but I must tell you..My dad always said she could get rocks from the sound and make a wonderful soup..A wonderful mother and wonderful cook..

Till next time, keep looking up.

5 comments:

Glenda said...

I love coming across little items that my mother stuffed away - everyday things that give you a glimpse into their everyday lives. It's priceless! I'll have to try her soup recipe!

Gloria said...

That's like a piece of her diary, really makes you feel close again. I love going through my mom's recipes, some are my grandma's and I love trying to figure out their terms for things sometimes...like clues to a good mystery. Fun!
Hope you have a Happy 2012!
Smile today. :)

Totally Timmy said...

Wow..what a difference in price!! Who knew that a shopping list could become so interesting!!

artsyclay said...

How wonderful that you found those. Unbelievable prices. I have a cookbook of my grandma's with some handwritten recipes on loose papers in the back...such a treasure.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Hmmmm how things have changed. My brother used to collect parking tickets in the late 40's, most were about sixpence, but there is the very odd one at a shilling or at 1 shilling and sixpence. Some places nowadays we cannot afford to park!!! Diane